Thursday 25 July 2013

BUY HER BACK??...HOW?

We’re exploring the miraculous survival of the Jews. So God loves them...but how much?


You were telling me that Hosea had to buy back his wife after she cheated on him but you never told me what his name meant.
Would you believe?...‘Jah is help’.

Uhh, that’d be right!...if it was me I’d be blaming God for this marital mess.  Now I suppose you're going to tell me that God still loves Israel and will graciously buy her back? I guess that wouldn’t be with military strength and bullets.
Not long after this God used Jeremiah to declare a New Covenant in chapter 31...

....the Mediator being Jesus?

Yes Jesus, who sealed the New Covenant with His own blood. Hosea refers to Him when he wrote: "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt", recalling the Hebrews being rescued by God from Egypt after the first Passover was sacrificed.
…and Jesus was taken as a small child to Egypt for refuge wasn’t He?

Yes, then He was taken back to Judaea to become the ‘Lamb of God’ sacrificed at Passover.                
So the buy-back has already been paid – in blood, nearly 2000 years ago!...but the wayward missus is not really faithful yet.  All I can say is that God has a lot more patience than me - I'd have just dragged her home and taught her a lesson long ago.                                                                     

In the meantime God has graciously included us Gentiles but notice He declared to Hosea at the outset:

"Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God. Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel."
and later He says:

            "And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God."
So Israel's back on the map, just like Hosea predicted and bristling with armament.

Well they're not out of the woods yet. Modern Israel is just a fraction of the original kingdoms and they still survive on their wits and fire-power. They don’t yet say:

“…Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips. Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride upon horses: neither will we say any more to the work of our hands, Ye are our gods: for in thee the fatherless findeth mercy.” ch14vv2-3

I think you’ll find that Asshur refers to the ‘anti-Christ’ soon to appear on the scene and just while we're looking at Hosea, probably the most well-known passage is:
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" (4: 6)                                                 

Ah, so God held the leaders responsible for failing to teach the people of Israel!...but what about Christian leaders?...what have they been teaching people, especially about Israel?  
Are we destroyed for lack of knowledge too?

Let’s find out.


Photo credit: acpr.org.il

No comments:

Post a Comment